Caption: Aerial photograph of Fort Carillon / Fort Ticonderoga in 1927
Fort Carillon, or Ticonderoga as it was known to the British, was built by the French beginning in 1755. French general Montcalm’s victory in July 1758 over British general Abercromby’s Anglo-American army was won near the fort. Despite this victory, the fort had had to be abandoned to Gen. Amherst’s overwhelming force in the summer of 1759. A party of American revolutionaries led by Ethan Allen captured the fort in 1775. This aerial view of 1927 shows much of the original foundations and outlines. The historic site is now a popular tourist attraction.
- Date modified: