Caption: The Château Saint-Louis and its fort at Quebec in 1683
The walls of the fort on Cap-Diamant were built from 1636 and stood until torn down in 1693. This contemporary print shows the first Château Saint-Louis in 1683. It was built in 1647 and demolished in 1694 to build a larger one. The second Château was where, in 1690, Sir William Phips’ messenger delivered his summons to surrender and received Count Frontenac’s celebrated answer that he would respond with his cannon’s muzzles. During the 1690 siege, the fort acted as the citadel of Quebec’s fortifications. The houses on the right side border the narrow way (now Petit-Champlain street) down to the Lower Town. Print after Jean-Baptiste Franquelin.
- Date modified: