Fort Frontenac in 1758

Caption: Fort Frontenac in 1758

Fort Frontenac in 1758, now Kingston, Ontario. Founded in 1673, this fort was also called Cataraqui (several possible spellings) but eventually retained the name of its founder, Governor General Count Louis de Buade de Frontenac et de Palluau. It was the most important French fort on Lake Ontario until Fort Niagara was built in the 1720s. Fort Frontenac was taken by a large force under Lt. Col. Bradstreet in 1758 and thereafter abandoned. The site was later used for military purposes by the British and Canadian armies. This sketch shows at the upper left the Anglo-American batteries put up during the 1758 attack.